Sweeper Keeper: The sweeper keeper as the name implies has a role to come out and sweep the ball when a long ball is played or a player is through on goal. The keeper should be outside his box on most occasions because the team play a very high line. Coupled with his sweeping responsibilities, I instructed the keeper to roll the ball to the center backs(this automatically makes the center backs split during build up and helps maximize the width of the pitch). The keeper also has instructions to distribute slowly so i do not lose the ball easily. The keeper is very important as the first phase of build up starts from him so he has to have high stats for passing and composure. As Pep Guardiola said "How fast the ball goes is how fast it is going to come back" he said this in a press conference vs Napoli when a reporter asked if he would stop Ederson from passing and kicking it long.

Inverted Wingbacks: These two positions for me are the most important in my system. Inverted wingbacks unlike the traditional full backs stay in field beside the defensive midfielder instead of running down the flanks. The reason why i use them in this role is to have numerical superiority in central areas of the pitch and to me when they are in their traditional fullback position, in build up they get the ball a lot more and i do not want that, i want the first pass if possible in build up to be from my center back directly to the winger(this will be shown in the pictures below) so we can affect the game alot more faster instead of building up with the midfielders but if that is not possible the wingbacks can help outnumber the central areas making build up easier. These wingbacks are normally marked by the oppositions winger so when they go infield, the winger follows them into midfield making the path from my CB to Winger easier. The instructions for this position are "Sit Narrower" "Hold Position"(I do not want them too far upfield to avoid counter attacks) and "Shorter Passing". Apart from creating overloads in central areas and creating space for wingers, these players also create space for the CM's especially when playing against a 352 where there are no wingers to mark them, therefore the opposing midfielders have to mark them and therefore leaving the CM's free(Reference to Chelsea vs Manchester City, 2017/2018).

Ball Playing Defender: The two center backs have to be ball playing defenders for obvious reasons, they are so important to the first phase of build up. Due to that, They have to be composed and be able to pass between lines and not clear the ball for any reason. They have instructions to pass the ball shorter. In build up, the CB's split to maximize width.

Deep Lying Playmaker: The DLP has no special instructions in this formation. He has the basic role of a DM but with emphasis on shorter passing and coming to join the CB's during build up to maximize passing options.

Mezzela & Advanced Playmakers: What i will say for this position is that you can use any role, any role that will enable the player to get forward alot and influence play. I have used these two roles because it favors my two CM's and it allows them to go forward and into the halfspaces alot more. The players in this position are bound to high have key passes and creation stats because they are normally free as a result of the space the inverted wingbacks make for them in certain occasions. I have instructed them to run wide with the ball in order for them to link up with their respective wingers easily. They also have a role to get ahead of the False 9.

Wingers: These two positions are one of the most important for this system. I instruct them to stay very wide in order to maximize width and create space for the midfielders. These wingers should be fast, technical, be able to cross and be able to finish because they will find themselves in goal scoring areas a lot as a result of space created by the false 9.

False 9: I call the position a False 9 position but in game it is actually an Advanced Playmaker position. This can be called the most important position. While the Inverted Wingbacks create numerical superiority in the first third of the pitch, the false 9 creates superiority in the final third, normally linking up with the Mezella, AP, DLP and the two IWB, so basically when you think of it you have about 5 players controlling the midfield, that ensures the midfield battle is won. I must say the player in this position has to be very technical, mobile and have a high work rate. Ideally, when he moves into midfiled, the CBs follow him and leave space for the wingers. He also has a responsibility to get to crosses and score goals but also to dictate. In the screenshots below, you will see how the False 9 has more assists and key passes than goals (Although he got injured for two months). The payer in this position was Gustavo Scarpa. I gave him special instructions to get forward, move into channels and roam from his position.

High Pressure is one of the main features of this, i want the team high up the pitch at all times to be closer to the oppositions goal and win the ball back closer to the oppositions goal.

Prevent Short GK Distribution is also enabled so my players press high, with Tighter Marking it gives the opposition less time on the ball. I also want my team to pass the ball shorter and retain possession as much as possible.

Play out of Defence is enabled obviously as build up is very important in this. I also want my players to stick to their positions in order for every space to be occupied. I also put Look For Underlap because i have no marauding fullbacks and because I have alot of runners from midfield.

FM18 Results

[/img]

https://mega.nz/#!tF43iBqQ!O8Zwcax_A...fcq28MUyj_BNc8